400 Slices
Medium 9780892727834

AROOSTOOK COUNTY

Bob Duchesne Down East Books ePub

Birding in Aroostook County is like birding another country. In fact, if not for a favorable resolution of the bloodless Aroostook War of 1839, much of it would be in Canada today. Aroostook is so distinctive that Mainers refer to it as

See All Chapters
Medium 9780892727889

The Mahoosuc Range

Steve Pinkham Down East Books ePub

Mahoosuc, in the Wabanaki language, connotes a place where wild animals reside and originally referred to the range of mountains running from Mount Carlo, on the New Hampshire border, east to Andover, including Carlo, Goose Eye, Fulling Mill, Mahoosuc, Old Speck, Baldpate, and Surplus mountains. Later, the range included the mountains east of Andover to Route 17, including Wyman, Sawyer, Moody, Old Blue, Elephant, and Bemis mountains. It also includes all the side ranges and peaks situated north of the Androscoggin River—the Sunday River region, and Sunday River Whitecap, Puzzle, and Long mountains.

The Appalachian Trail traverses the entire length of the Mahoosuc Range, crossing most of the major mountains within this range. Originally, the trail took many easier routes, but was later rerouted and now crosses Bemis and Old Blue in the eastern section; Sawyer, Moody, Wyman, Surplus, and Baldpate in the middle section; and all the major peaks of the western section.

Mahoosuc Notch, a remote and high notch located between Fulling Mill Mountain and Mahoosuc Mountain, is a jumble of rocks and boulders, some the size of small houses. This single mile, where the trail winds its way up, over, under, and around the many boulders and rocks, is considered by many to be the single most difficult mile on the entire Appalachian Trail. At the upper end of Sunday River valley, where the Bull Branch comes tumbling out of the notch, lies a beautiful and popular swimming hole known as Frenchman’s Hole, after a French Canadian logger who cut pulp on the side of the mountain in the 1870s and built an access road near the waterfall. Here the brook drops through a series of cataracts, then comes to a ledge where it splits and drops in two eight-foot plunges to the large, horseshoe-shaped pool below.

See All Chapters
Medium 9780892727230

1 A Dream Realized: 1945-1961

Christie, John Down East Books ePub

Sugarloaf, as we now know it, began in two places: on the north slope of Bigelow Mountain, and in the head of a storekeeper in Kingfield, Maine, by the name of Amos Winter. It really began in three places, the third being an organization called the Maine Ski Council.

Let me explain. Shortly after the end of World War II, Amos, who owned a general store (actually, the general store) in the sleepy little town of Kingfield, had an idea. He had cut his skiing teeth in the formidable bowl on the east side of Mount Washington known as Tuckerman Ravine, and he began to think he could avoid the long trip to Pinkham Notch if a ski trail of some sort could be cut a little closer to home.

Some of the original Bigelow Boys—years later; l–r: Howard Dunham, Odlin Thompson, Stub Taylor, Howell McClure, Dick French. Right: An aerial view of Bigelow Mountain across Flagstaff Lake (photo by Mark Warner).

In his backyard loomed Mount Abraham, which he looked at every day from the imposing home he shared with his wife, Alice, on Kingfield’s principal height of land, and from their log summer camp a couple of miles away on Tuft’s Pond. Farther north up Route 27, toward Stratton and Coburn Gore, were four more 4,000-footers constituting the Longfellow Range, also referred to by some as the Blue Mountains. Amos had tromped those hills, often in the company of his older brother, Erland, a legendary guide and owner of a set of sporting camps called Deer Farm Camps.

See All Chapters
Medium 9780892725854

Smaller Lights, Midcoast Maine

Caldwell, Bill Down East Books ePub

When you need it, every light is important, no matter its size or history. Along the Maine coast are many lesser light—lesser only because some mark the entrance to a comparatively small harbor and as a result are small in size. Others are small in history, largely because they are relatively new. They may be small in adventure or shipwreck stories, though local residents may have many an enthralling tale to tell about them.

Coming into Rockport Harbor, the best and most visible daytime mark is the old lighthouse structure on Indian Island. This light has been abandoned by the Coast Guard and is now privately owned, so it shows no flash after dark.

It has been replaced by the automated light beacon close by on Lowell Rock. This stands twenty-five feet high and flashes red every ten seconds. The harbor at Rockport is handsome and spacious, and there is a good dock, restaurant, and art gallery in the hilly village. But if you plan to sleep aboard on a mooring or at anchor, be prepared for a lot of rolling, especially at ebb tide.

See All Chapters
Medium 9780892728060

Do you recognize this hushed hall?

Andrew Vietze Down East Books ePub

With the colonnade of ash trees beginning to leaf out in the late spring sun, going to the mall is especially inviting on a June afternoon. The freshly mown lawn is but one of the many clues in this verdant scene. The flag pole in front of the imposing brick edifice is something of a giveaway, suggesting an institution of some sort, a public building. The multiple entrances and inviting steps further that idea. Could it be a town hall, perhaps? Maybe a venerable high school or post office or museum? Possibly a barracks even? It’s too pleasant-looking to be prison-related. Well, here’s what we know: Construction of this impressive structure began in 1941, but it was postponed because of the Second World War and completed in 1947. Funding was provided by a prominent businessman who donated a great deal of money in the area. The population of the town hereabouts is just over 9,000 in the summer, and the community, named for a Penob-scot Indian chief, is known for the pretty National Register homes in its historic district — testaments to the importance of timber in the region — in addition to the goings on in and around this particular building. On warm days, people appear here like dandelions in springtime, enjoying the sun or playing Frisbee on these green grounds. See page 100 if you’d like to educate yourself about this location.

See All Chapters

See All Slices