1124 Chapters
Medium 9781588438690

Williamsburg

Norman Renouf Hunter Publishing ePub

Travel Back in Time for Some Colonial Romance

Virginia was a vast and prosperous colony that stretched west to the Mississippi River and north to the Great Lakes when, in 1699, the Virginia Assembly voted to move the capital from Jamestown to a new site, Middle Plantation. The new capital was renamed after the reigning British monarch - hence, Williamsburg. This was not the first honor bestowed on the town. In 1693, a Royal Charter had been granted for a college, only the second such established in the colony. It was named after the British sovereigns, William and Mary. Williamsburg soon became a powerful center for commerce, and culture blossomed here as the first colonial theater was opened. Perhaps most importantly, it became the seat of power for colonial politics. It was the place where George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry and others argued the cause of American independence. The events that transpired here during these years literally changed the course of the nation's history. Ironically, this also caused the city's decline. In 1780, during the Revolutionary War, the threat of British attack was great and the location of Williamsburg so vulnerable that the capital was moved upriver to Richmond. Merchants, tradespeople and tavern keepers followed; as a result, the town drifted into obscurity.

See All Chapters
Medium 9780892725854

Portland Lightships

Caldwell, Bill Down East Books ePub

Once there were 122 lightships in the United States. Today there are none. The era of stalwart lightships is gone forever. Yet the memory, the nostalgia, and the love of lightships live on.

Lightships live in the long memories of old immigrants heading from Europe to a new life in the New World. The first foretaste of their new world was the lightship that signaled they were at long last coming to their American harbor. Lightships live in the memories of mariners, to whom these special marks signaled the safe end of a long voyage. And lightships live in the memories—not always fond ones—of the men who served aboard these bouncing tethered sentinels of our coast.

Portland had a series of four lightships for seventy-two years, from 1903 until 1975, when the last Portland lightship was replaced by an automated, crewless, large navigational buoy.

Portland’s first lightship came on station March 7, 1903, anchored in seabed selected by divers six miles east-southeast of Cape Elizabeth. This lightship, Number 74 in the annals of the Lighthouse Service, was three years late in reporting for duty. This delay was due, first, to delays in the shipyard that built her, the Parkersburg Iron Works in Virginia, and second, because no sooner had she been launched than she went hard aground in the James River.

See All Chapters
Medium 9780892728060

Can you tell where this museum is located?

Andrew Vietze Down East Books ePub

If this romantic scene has you imagining an earlier time, picturing bonnets and buckboards, you’re on the right track. Every October the centuries melt away at this small village in the central part of the state and people cross this covered bridge into the 1790s. Men and women in period dress demonstrate what it would have been like to live a pioneer life in the North Woods, working at a water-powered sawmill or a blacksmith shop, spinning or weaving, traveling by buggy and bateaux, and feasting on bean-hole beans. Even the children are busy, dipping candles, making cedar shakes, and peeling potatoes. With the bridge, the mill, log cabins, trapper camps, and nature trails through the woodlands all around, it’s not a bad way to spend the first weekend in October. The museum here is no stranger to living history, dedicated as it is to telling the story of the long-ago lumbering life of the Maine woods. Every autumn it hosts this colorful event, transforming this community of 1,242 into Township Four, the place it used to be. Have you ever stepped across this bridge and back in time? Turn to page 100 if you can identify the museum or the community it is located in.

See All Chapters
Medium 9781588433886

Lambertville

Mycek, Shari Hunter Publishing ePub

Like New Hope, Lambertville (colonized in 1705) grew into an industrial center, with the Delaware River as its backdrop. The prosperity and development of the town was largely due to the efforts of its first settler, John Holcombe, who lobbied hard to have York Road, the main road from Philadelphia to New York, go through Lambertville. Originally, the road was planned to pass north of there, in what is now Stockton.

Lambertville and New Hope, directly across the Delaware from one another, were once a single town called Coryell's Ferry (named after the man who operated the boat).

A Center of Industry

By the mid-1800s Lambertville was a thriving industrial center. In 1859, the Lambertville Iron Works was established and, for years, the Kooker Sausage Company thrived in what is today appropriately called the Porkyard, an antiques center. At the height of its productivity, Lambertville employed 3,000 factory workers, turning out such products as wooden wagon wheels, rubber boots and shoes, bottled beer, railway cars and locomotives, ceramics and the first hairpins.

See All Chapters
Medium 9781588436313

Homolovi Ruins State Park

Barbara Sinotte Hunter Publishing ePub

Location: 3 miles northeast of Winslow, Arizona. Take Interstate 40 to Exit 257; then go 1.3 miles north on Highway 87.

The Hopi elders tell of the migration of their ancestors, the Hisat'sinom, who moved from place to place to mark the boundaries of their homeland. Following the instructions of Masau, who in Hopi tradition owns this world and gave permission for humankind to live here, the people built their homes and planted their fields.

The ruined walls and scattered, broken pottery are eloquent testimony of the people that once lived in this place. The Homolovi pueblos, along with other prehistoric sites in northern Arizona, are still sacred to the Hopi people. Clan elders from the Hopi mesas up to 65 miles north of the park continue to make pilgrimages to these sites, renewing the ties of their people with the land.


 


 

There continue to be remarkable similarities between the architecture, pottery styles, and art motifs of the Hopi people and the prehistoric inhabitants of Homolovi.

Archeologists use the term Anasazi for the people who lived in this region during the 14th century. Every June and July, archeologists and volunteers carefully search the clay hills and windblown sands for new chapters in the story of these people and their forerunners, the Paleo-Indians and the Basketmakers. Much information has been lost through the years because of the destructive activities of misguided private collectors and the depredations of dealers in antiquities. Still, there are many remains that bear evidence of the ingenuity and skill of the Homolovi people.

See All Chapters

See All Chapters